In 1982, Michael Jackson released his second solo album, Thriller. Porky's, E.T. Extraterrestrial, and Rocky III were some of the most popular movies. TIMES Man of the Year is: THE COMPUTER.
And in April of that year, {drumroll, please} I was born. Cue the angels singing the 'Hallelujah' chorus. All jokes aside, it's 2012 and I have officially turned thirty. As my birthday approaches (a little too fast if you ask me) Bill gets me involved in discussing plans for that day/weekend. Do I want him to throw a party? What do I want to do? Where do I want to go to dinner? Do I want to go anywhere else? I ignore these questions for awhile as I come to terms that in the weeks to come I will no longer be in my twenties. I finally decide on a night spent with Bill "romancing" me. I'm not exactly sure what romancing means but it's a term we use when I want special attention. (I really hope I don't sound like a brat!)
We spend the evening walking around Iowa City, first ducking into Prairie Lights where we browse through the locally owned shop and he buys me 50 Shades of Grey, and then deciding to eat on the patio of Atlas. After a delicious meal at Atlas, he treats me to Whitey's ice cream, my favorite treat. I am not and have never been a cake person and I am definitely not a chocolate person. I am a butterscotch malt girl and it was so rich and delicious that I saved half for the next day! As we return home, Bill gives me a card and a box from The Sanctuary ~ a day of pampering. Oh my word.
What does thirty feel like? Am I where I wanted to be or even where I thought I'd be? Thirty years old is really making the wheels turn.... Thirty feels nice, I feel like I've just hit my groove in life. In the last 6 months, I have felt better than ever and my marriage has been better than ever. I've got great friends and my relationships with my family are wonderful. I can't describe what has really changed but I feel incredibly content and blessed. I love that I'm happy to walk around with my husband and enjoy the little things in life. I don't need crazy parties or fancy gifts. I want my husband to know me, really know me and know what I like. And he does, he's not a mind-reader but he is so in-tune with my thoughts and feelings. I just want to be comfortable.... and I am. Thirty is darn good.

No comments:
Post a Comment