Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Treats

Last year, I was given a couple boxes of jars by someone who had gotten the 'candle-making bug' for a very, very short time. She wanted to be rid of the jars and I took them. The jars were adorable but in my eyes they were too big for me to put candles in and sell them at a reasonable price. So they've been collecting dust and I decided in November that I was going to get creative and do something special with those dang jars. With the help of my sister-in-law we decided to make 'Candy Cane Sugar Scrub' for all of the ladies in both of our families. Not only was the scrub easy but it was so fun to make and gift to the girls!

 
Since we were making our scrub in bulk, I'll give you a mini-version!
4 C. granulated sugar
1 C. sunflower oil (or any carrier/cold-pressed oil i.e. olive, grapeseed, almond)
Fresh raspberry juice (enough to color the sugar pink)
20 drops of organic peppermint essential oil
 
Use 2 large bowls and mix equal amounts in each bowl. In one bowl, add enough raspberry juice to color the sugar pink. We used frozen raspberries and defrosted to create a juice. Once you have both mixtures mixed well add into equal parts in the jar. Pat down each layer of scrub evenly. It's is really THAT easy! Before we put the lid on we added 1 more drop of essential oil on top to give the scrub a burst of scent. I had a little test run with the scrub and it made my skin so, so soft but I did notice it made the shower a little slick!
 
I used a free printable from The Idea Room: Candy Cane Printable and added a cute tag with the ingredients and directions written with a calligraphy pen. We then tied a craft stick to the tag (for mixing and applying) with a adorable pink ribbon. I really wish I had taken the time to get pictures of the FINAL product. But alas, it was Christmas Eve....
 
Lauren and I had a great time making the scrub and have now officially decided to make crafting a Christmas tradition. That night we were brainstorming of what we could do for next year! I'm already excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment