Sunday, July 29, 2012

Eyeshadow Primers: The Good, Better, and Best!

So here's the scoop on lid primers. I had never used one and always wished that my eye shadow would last longer. I always seemed to find that after a day of work that I didn't look as 'put-together' as I'd like. So about 7 years ago I purchased my first lid primer from Clinique and cue the Hallelujah chorus. Seriously. I. Use. Lid. Primer. Every. Day. I can't live without it and I've tried a couple of them throughout the years. Out of this list there really isn't one that I 'dislike' per say. They all worked but some better than others. Everyone is different and what has worked for me might not work for you... and more specifically what I've liked might be different than you. But here's my honest opinion on these products:

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion ~ They call this the most coveted shadow primer in the makeup industry. I beg to differ. Urban Decay offers 4 colors. My first go round with this product was with the Original which isn't really a color. It looks like a white-ish cream. It did not offer any type of coverage (which is something I really like). The consistency was pretty nice but sometimes I just like to wear a primer by itself and the original potion does not let you do this. I just recently purchased Eden since it had the look of a concealer and could be worn alone. The color is a little too yellow and the consistency is thick and unnatural. I'll use it until it's done but it definitely isn't my favorite. It does keep the shadow from fading and creasing which is a plus. The primer potion is $20 and a little goes a long way with the Eden color so it will more than likely last a lot longer than I want it to. Best-selling product on UrbanDecay.com

Clinique Touch Base For Eyes ~ Offered in 5 colors. These offer great coverage and when worn under shadow it's creaseproof and waterproof. The colors are really versatile. One drawback is that it dries out in the packaging really quickly. And they can feel a little chalky on the eye, so that would be great for someone with oily lids. My favorite color is Canvas Light. Touch base is $15 and would probably last a maximum of 6 months. Touch Base For Eyes ~ Colors and Reviews

Clinique Touch Tint For Eyes/Smoothie Antioxidant Colour ~ Touch tint was discontinued and  reformulated into Smoothie Antioxidant Colour. They are basically the same thing except for some additional antioxidant ingredients in the Smoothie. Offered in a multitude of colors, 12 to be exact! The only downfall that I could find is that it doesn't offer a huge amount of coverage. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone who had oily lids or problems with creasing since they have a very creamy consistency and are pretty shimmery. I like to add a little a little shimmer AFTER a concealer. Definitely a must-have for Summer to add a little highlight to the eyes. I like Nude Sparkle and Bit O'Honey. They are $19.50 and they last forever. I'm still working on mine that I purchased about 2 years ago. Smoothie Antioxidant Colour 

Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer ~ Love it, love it, love it. It comes in one universal color that is a nice sandy color. Matte-finish and stays on ALL day. I really think this if the perfect primer for eyeshadow or just to be worn on its own. It has a nice concealer type coverage that looks very natural. This is my definite go-to for a lid primer. $20 and lasts close to a year. Check it out on Sephora


On my wedding day I used Smashbox primer with a quick swipe of Clinique Nude Sparkle on top to give some shimmer. I topped it with a light, shimmery Mirabella eyeshadow all over and a darker, matte shadow in the corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment