Thursday, July 12, 2012

Daddy Dearest



Yes, I'll admit it, I totally didn't post anything for my Dad on Father's Day. While it doesn't make me a horrible daughter, I am a little embarrassed. It was a crazy weekend and by the end of Sunday both Bill and I were exhausted. So, it's better late than never (but never late is better as Kanye West once said).

I grew up in the type of household that Dad went to work early in the morning and came back late at night. He worked incredibly hard for our family so my Mother could stay home with my brother and I. He really did make some huge sacrifices for us. We never wanted for a thing and my Dad was (and still is) held in a ridiculously high regard. He's always been there for us and has always been a great sounding board.

He almost always answers the phone saying "YO!" and typically, conversations will go like this...



Me: Dad, I'm thinking about doing _______
Dad: Now here's what I would do....
(So that's what we are expected to do)

OR

Me: Dad, I think I'm going to buy _____
Dad: Don't do anything yet. I've got a guy....
(So we use the guy)

OR

Me: I'm going to _____
Dad: Well, if I were you....
(the opinion is always taken into consideration)

OR

Dad is at a family function and really likes a dish of food or appetizer. So he repeats to everyone "Have you tried the ____" and "Wow, that ____ is so good" and "Hey everyone this ____ is so good!" These comments are repeated about 100 times.


My Dad definitely has a lot of nuances that make him the butt of a lot of our jokes and it's all in good fun! Can you tell that he has some control issues? But that's what we love about him. You never wonder where you stand with him and you always know where he stands on the situation. I still call my Dad for advice which can sometimes drive Bill up the wall but he's been there for me for 30 years. There is a really slim chance that he will actually read this but if you are.... I love you, Dad! Thank you for everything!



As for my other "Dad" whom I really do call Daddy Dearest. Well, he's ridiculously similar to my Dad. He's driven, dedicated, and always ready and willing to give you an opinion. In other words, he's pretty awesome.... as long as you don't mess up! I can't say it enough times that I feel incredibly blessed to have been welcomed into my husband's family as one of them. Bill and I had dinner with one of Bill's co-workers awhile back and we were discussing Bill Sr. and the gentleman said "You have no idea how much your father-in-law loves you. He has so many great things to say about you!" I could have cried. The feeling is mutual, DD.

No comments:

Post a Comment