I think it's time for me to reveal that I'm attempting a gluten-free diet. I began in mid-December after one of my besties revealed that she found out she has an auto-immune issue. Long story short, she knew something was a little off, had some tests ran, and it turns out she has the beginnings of Hashimoto's (you can read more about it HERE). Rather than treating this with medicine she did tons of research and realized by going gluten-free she can not only reverse some of these issues but would be able to control it. We've been working out together and our conversations always turn to general health, how much shit is in the food we eat (not literally, just chemicals, pesticides, and junk), and how we can be our best selves.
As for me, I've always been the girls with the upset stomach and have to be very careful after eating certain foods (as in, not far away from a bathroom). I had started to get a little anxiety about some of my afternoon meetings because I didn't know how my stomach would react after certain lunches. I don't eat bad per say but sometimes I wasn't eating the best and I just couldn't put a finger on what would set off my stomach (besides fried food items and anything from Buffalo Wild Wings). I decided to go on an elimination diet and I started with gluten. The first couple days were pretty rough.... I never realized how many things gluten was in. My job requires me being on the road the majority of the time and finding something to eat that was quick and easy became nearly impossible. After about 5 days I started introducing gluten back into my diet to see what would happen. Nothing really happened which leads me to believe that I don't have any gluten intolerance. Thank God.
However, I am pretty in tune with my body and I did notice some slight changes. When I was eating gluten-free I was feeling alert and focused. I was never bloated or any type of G.I. discomfort after meals. I was energetic throughout the day. I was cooking clean and making much, much healthier choices for me. My caloric intake was down (I keep track on MyFitnessPal) and I FELT lighter and skinnier. So my decision to go gluten-free isn't a weight loss mechanism it's more of a feel good, look good choice. I will freely admit that I'm about 95% gluten free. I make all of the best efforts to not introduce wheat, barley, and rye into my meals but I've still cooked with soy sauce and I have had a small bit of Lebanese bread in my Fattoush salad. I'm not drinking beer, eating bread, crackers, wraps, or pasta. I've put a serious effort into eating gluten-free while not completely isolating or denying myself. Since January 1, I have had 2 BIG slip-ups. I ate a plate of macaroni and cheese and I had a sandwich another time. I've had a couple small slip-ups, like eating a piece of breaded chicken, and having soy sauce in my rice. Whatever, no big deal.
A co-working of mine dropped off a book at my desk called Gluten-Free Girl. The book is a true story about a girl who is severely allergic to gluten (so allergic that she would have a reaction after kissing someone who had just ingested bread or if a cook at a restaurant did not change gloves after touching bread and touched her plate of food) and also includes great recipes. The book was a great tool to open my eyes about food. Food has always been comforting to me, I'll openly admit that I can be an emotion eater. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've zoned out and eaten half a package of crackers or chips. Now I realize that food isn't a mental thing, it's nourishment for my body. I want to live a long and healthy life. I want to fuel my body with clean, whole foods. Not processed packages. I've fallen back in love with apples and peanut butter as a snack. Instead of crackers I choose celery with hummus. I have a new love for Larabars (gluten-free fruit bars) and rice cakes.
Let me make this part clear: It is not easy. You know the feeling when you can't have something you want it more?! Yeah. A huge slice of cheesy pizza or Cajun fettuccine alfredo sounds amazing. But as Kate Moss once said, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I know it's vain but it's true. In the same sense nothing tastes as good as healthy feels too! In the past month I have lost nearly 3 pounds and I am down 1% body fat (accurately caliper-tested). Let me also be clear on this: I did NOT go gluten-free for weight loss. It was just a welcome side-effect. I feel strong and I feel good which leads me to believe that I am making the right choices for my body.
Have you tried using Almond Flour yet so you can still enjoy some of your favorite baked goodies???!! It's awesome stuff!
ReplyDelete