Wednesday, November 23, 2011

THANKS-giving

 Every holiday, Bill and I race around to see everyone in our family that is local, which is pretty much everyone but my Mom's side in St. Louis and part of my Dad's side scattered on each coast. Our Thanksgiving consists of:

Waking up.... putting the lasts preparations on the 3-6 dishes I make (I usually take 1-2 dishes per Thanksgiving.) Heading over to have Baumhauer Thanksgiving brunch. This consists of WAY too much food, games with the kids, YouTube videos to appease my brother and listening to my Dad say random things over and over like "Ashley's Party Potatoes!" or "Have you tried that cheese? Wow, that cheese is good! Have you tried it?" Bill and I leave after a couple hours vowing to not eat again for the rest of the day.

Next, we stop at our house QUICKLY to grab the dishes we've made for the next Thanksgiving and we head to Sandy and Kevin's house. We continue to eat more and more.... we start becoming lethargic. This is about the time I wish that I had worn yoga pants for the day. Bill might play a game of euchre while I read Black Friday ads. We might play some video games with Mickey and Leah but mostly we just relax and digest. We make serious, solemn promises that we are not going to eat anything else.

After that, we're off to the next one! A quick stop at the house to soak the used dishes and grab the rest of the food. Since Aunt Karen's birthday is around Thanksgiving The Grabe's have a celebration around the indoor pool at Riverside Casino. This is not a typical Thanksgiving, this is appetizers and treats and fun goodies. We both fill plates, usually about one of everything. There is always a card game happening, usually 31 or 313. We are literally in a food coma but we play card games until we can barely hold our eyelids up. Oh and did I mention that we've forgotten a Thanksgiving? Yes, we have opted to not participate in the Grabe Thanksgiving at the Community Center every year (since that is about the same time as the Baumhauer Thanksgiving). Can you imagine trying to fit all of that in?

Last week, we were discussing our travel strategy and I must say both of us were dreading the hustle and bustle of the day.... Last night, we made a realization.... we are thankful for our crazy Thanksgiving! We are so lucky to be able to see everyone we love (give or take a small percentage) in 1 day! We are so lucky that we get to enjoy amazing meals with amazing people. I never want to take for granted the memories that we have created and will continue to create on Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment