Saturday, September 1, 2012

Amana Rundtour: A Team Effort

Sunday, August 26 6:24 am: As I hear the rain against our window, I wish that I had a couple more hours to bury myself underneath our warm, down comforter. But alas, I have signed up for the Amana Rundtour duathlon. I drag myself out of my warm bed and look outside. It. Is. Soaking. Wet. Fan-freakin'-tastic.
 
7:00 am: I leave my house with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my hand. Rain or shine, I'm gonna do this! As I begin my drive, I'm getting more and more nervous. It's pouring!
 
7:35 am: I arrive at Amana Middle and meet my teammate, Troy and his friends who have travelled all the way from Dubuque. Troy is a co-worker of mine at our Dubuque office. We have bonded over fitness, races, and challenges. Super cool guy! We have both made it very clear that we will push ourselves to the limit but by no means will we win this thing. Let's face it, I'm not a fast runner. And he SAYS he's not a fast biker.
 
8:00 am: Race commences. It is pouring so hard that the water is coming off my hat so I can hardly see. My feet are sloshing through the street and people are passing me left and right. I push on.
 
8:22 am: I pass my timing chip to Troy. I've averaged 8:32 for the 2.6 mile run.
 
9:05 am: I see a blue shirt coming towards the school. "No freakin' way" I say outloud, it's Troy. He just biked 18 miles in 42 minutes! Holy smokes. He passes on the timing chip and the pressure builds. I can't let him down!
 
9:28 am: Team CEC finished the Amana Rundtour duathlon. My second 2.6 mile run was 1 minute behind my initial pace. Not bad, not bad.
We placed 5th in the Team Division out of 16 teams. We were the 1st co-ed team to finish the race!
 
10 am: Family style breakfast at Ronneburg restaurant commences with new friends. German pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, english muffins, coffee, juice... Any calories that were initially burned were immediately replaced. It was so worth it!
 


 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment