Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sprinkles Are Better On A Cupcake!



I've been loving this fantastic weather, although it's been very hot I'll take as much sun as I possibly can :) My husband and I enjoyed a nice 30-mile bike ride through Cedar Rapids on Saturday and I convinced a friend to run with me on Sunday (running in 97-degree heat is not the greatest idea I've ever had). Needless to say, my skin has been feeling the brunt of these workouts. I'm noticing more congestion in my oily areas (chin and nose) and lots of breakouts on my forehead and when I say breakouts my forehead looks like the top of a sprinkle cupcake, not a good look for me. I can only assume that's from my bike helmet and sweat etc. 

Even though I use medical-grade skincare and the Clarisonic Cleansing System, I can still have problematic skin. It's natural to find yourself fighting oiliness and acne during the Summer months, the humidity in Iowa is brutal! We all have to keep in mind that there are external and even internal factors that can trigger a breakout or more oiliness. Hormones are... well, let's just say they can be pretty annoying. It is common to have a 'hormonal' breakout about once a month and these generally occur in the chin area. Working out can cause breakouts, when sweat combines with dead skin and bacteria it's the perfect breeding ground for pimples! Even a new hairstyle, wearing bangs over your forehead or sweeping your face-framing layers forward can cause the skin to clog. 

The key to keeping your skin clear?? Let me 'Sprinkle' some tips on you....

~Wash daily and nightly (or after an excessive workout). Do not dry your skin out with harsh products or excessive cleansing, this will cause your skin to overproduce oil.

~Keep your fingers and hair off of your face as much as possible. I have bangs, I keep as much product away from them as possible. Wearing a headband or a clip can help with that. 

~Apply a salicylic acid gel to your nose (and even chin) if you are prone to blackheads and congestion in this area. This will gently exfoliate and prevent these pockets of oil from forming. 

~Change your pillowcase weekly. You don't want me to tell you what's on your pillowcase....

~If you feel a breakout coming in, be proactive! Use a salicylic acid gel over the area until you feel it beginning to heal. If you already have a breakout, DO NOT PICK AT IT! This only pushes the infection deeper into the pore. Continue to apply a salicylic acid gel and it will heal on its own. 

~If you use a Clarisonic (and you all should!) make sure to cleanse it weekly with an anti-bacterial soap. 

~Lastly, wipe your cell phone down with an antibacterial wipe that is safe to use on your phone. I recently read a study that found that cell phones have more bacteria than a toilet seat. Ewwwww. 


Clear skin is always within your grasp by following a disciplined skin routine and proper hygiene! 

No comments:

Post a Comment