Thursday, October 25, 2012

Weekend In Galena

Galena, Illinois is a cute, touristy little place to get away. Bill and I took some time for ourselves and took a long weekend to stay at the Eagle Ridge Golf Resort. The weekend was filled with some of the most delicious food I've ever had, Chime Pinot Noir (highly recommend it!), cards, and beautiful scenery. The blessing of the weekend was how simple and simply wonderful it became. We ate, drank, hiked, and just enjoyed each others company. The best part of the trip was that we were able to take Dutch. I have to admit that when Bill first surprised me with the getaway I was absolutely convinced that Dutch should come but it turned out to be a fantastic idea!
 
 
When we drove into town around lunchtime on Friday we checked in early and dropped Dutch off in our beautiful villa that had this cozy cabin decor. We decided to head to Main Street to have lunch and ended up at a pizza joint called Gobbie's.... We decided to get a taco pizza since we saw one when we first walked in and it looked delicious! I think it's safe to say it was the best taco pizza I've ever had and quite possibly some of the best pizza ever. We washed it down with a couple wheat beers and walked it off down Main Street. After getting back to our home away from home we took Dutch for a long walk through the South Golf Course behind us.
 
That night we decided to head up to the Main Lodge and listen to live music. We were able to eat, drink, listen to music, and watch the Cardinals game. Afterwards, we decided to crack open the Chime and play 313 until 2 am. I won the first game and Bill won the last two but I should mention that he only won the last game by ONE POINT!
 
The next day we hiked through the hills of Galena all morning through mid-afternoon. It was a foggy day so we had the trails to ourselves and Dutch was able to run off-leash the entire time. He was having a blast! After a quick nap, we went to Main Street again to shop and eat. We walked up and down the street a couple times and decided to eat at Fried Green Tomatoes. Oh my word, it was amazing. We started with Crab Cakes which were better than the crab cakes I've had in Boston or South Carolina! Bill had steak for his entree and I had Chicken Marsala. We finished it off with a hot apple crumble dessert served with fresh-churned ice cream. We were absolutely stuffed.
 
So when we woke up on Sunday morning we realized... we haven't taken one picture so far! So here's a couple quick ones we got before we took off that afternoon. It was a great trip and I am so thankful that I married such a thoughtful man!
 
Dutch loved the yard behind our villa ~
This was our view!
The first hole on the South Course near our place

Man's best friend
The view was beautiful.
 
 
See that brown little cabin in the lower middle part of this picture? That's where we stayed. I have a feeling we might want to make this an annual getaway! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment