Robert G. Joyce
After a long fight with COPD, my Uncle Bob is safe in the hands of God. I am grateful he is no longer suffering and comforted by the thought of an amazing reunion in heaven between Aunt Dene and him. The strength that my cousin Julie has had in the last couple years is amazing. She has endured her share of heartbreaks and my heart aches for our family.
My aunt Dene passed away in December of 2008. It was a huge blow to everyone in our family. Especially since my Grandma Baumhauer had passed away earlier in October at 94. Dene was battling a rare form of leukemia for a couple years and I remember getting a call from my Dad telling me that she was in the hospital and to pray for her. I prayed but didn't feel the imminent worry, I just assumed that she would get another transfusion and be okay. When she passed it crushed my Dad, to the point that my brother and I worried about his depression. Aunt Dene and my Dad shared a Tuesday morning conversation every week and were incredibly close. Julie had been by Dene's side until the very end. She held her hand as she took her last breath. My Uncle Bob's world was in a word... over. During the time we had in South Carolina he made mention that he was ready to go. Without Dene, he didn't want to live. I don't know and can't imagine what the last couple years have been like for him. He longed for his soul mate. That's not to say he wasn't a happy guy, I don't want to paint an inaccurate picture of who he was... but to the core, he was a devoted husband and father. Julie was a devoted daughter and took care of him, spent time with him, went above and beyond the call of duty. She is a saint. I spoke to her, hours before Bob's passing. She had moved into his house and was taking 2 hour shifts with a hospice nurse. Her voice was weary but steady... She had closure, she was at peace, if she was questioning anything that she was doing/or had done you couldn't tell. I know that Dene and Bob are so proud of her for the woman she is. Strong, steady, she is a rock for her family... and there's a softer side, she is compassionate, a loving wife and mother. Julie, you did right by your family, you are an amazing daughter. Uncle Bob, I hope heaven is treating you well. It must be the most amazing feeling to spend eternity with your soul mate. We've been doing a lot of praying for you... and we are grateful for all of the great memories you've left us with. I know that you and Dene are both watching over Julie, Scott and Brandon. We love you....
Ashley, I have no words. The compassion you have shown for me and my family is unending and steady. You are such a strong woman, your own right, and that is a testament to your Mom and Dad. I am so proud to call you cousin, and even more proud to call you my friend. Thank you, for this, it means more than I can possibly say. I love you!
ReplyDeleteJulie